Sunday, May 1, 2011

first spring salad; guerrilla sunflower day; swirly tulips

i put together my first homegrown salad of the season this evening. three types of lettuce, baby kale, dandelion greens and petals, parsley and violas.

i meant to post something about this earlier, but may 1 (today) is international sunflower guerrilla gardening day. gardeners everywhere are encouraged to take some sunflower seeds and plant them on land that isn’t theirs.

i filled a purse with gray stripe seeds and a sharpie (to use as a dibber) and went for a walk with andy. finding good places to put sunflowers was harder than i thought it would be, but i ended up planting around a dozen along an ugly and neglected stretch of parkcenter boulevard (where it leads into bown crossing by the river.) then i took some small, black, unidentified sunflower seeds and scattered them around in that same area.

this has been a hell of a busy week for me. this weekend was especially ridiculous. a lot of really neat and fun experiences that i want to write down sometime, but not right now because i’m exhausted.




6 comments:

Amy Farrier said...

What a beautiful and artfully casual salad! My kale's been rendered unphotogenic by caterpillars, sadly. And I love the idea of guerrilla sunflower day. I may plant a few late seeds today.

Bumble Lush Garden said...

Oh I love that idea! Maybe I can do guerilla sunflower day today instead since I wasn't home yesterday. I have some seeds I'd love to throw in my neighbor's yard of weeds.

Your salad looks delicious!

Terri & Angela said...

These photos are absolutely gorgeous. I gotta' give it to you, you never disappoint!

Guerrilla gardening! I love it! I'm a day late, but I've gotta do this anyway. Speaks to the rebel in me. ;) Btw, whose idea was it to blanket the world in sunflowers?

~ Angela

Emily said...

thanks everyone! i think it should be guerrilla sunflower planting WEEK rather than just one day. or the whole month, why not. bumble lush--the same group (guerrillagardening.org) has instructions on their site for how to make "seed bombs." you should totally bomb your neighbor's yard! angela--it says on their site that the idea was originated by a group of guerrilla gardeners in brussels.

Vetsy said...

Emily that's a cool idea. Once it stops raining here in Michigan I may give guerrilla gardening a try, It has been raining here for an entire month and haven't stop yet!..UUGG!

Love the swirly yellow tulips, very pretty! have a wonderful day.

Emily said...

thank you vetsy! i hope you get a break from the showers soon.